"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Friday, January 05, 2007

The importance of HID Drivers

What is the closest UMPC in the market to a Tablet PC? The eo v7110. Why? Because this is the only device in the market at this moment that have HID Drivers (Human Interface Device Drivers) . Without these drivers many programs do not recognize an UMPC as a truly Tablet PC. Without these drivers the handwriting looks terrible. I know that some of you do not believe this so I asked a friend of mind to analyze two fonts created by me, one from my Samsung Q1 and another created in my TabletKiosk eo v7110. And here is the result.


fonts

The font created in the eo v7110 has more natural edges.

Anybody with the opportunity of using both UMPCs will find that it's a lot easier to use the stylus in an eo v7110. After a few minutes using the TabletKiosk eo v7110 and going back to my Q1 I get very frustrated when I see how my handwriting comes out in the Q1, it does not look at all like I'm the one writing on it.

Samsung are you thinking to do something about it?

Note: A friend of mine just told me that the i7210 also has HID Drivers. So here is another reason again to ask Samsung why not to do the same in their devices?

6 comments:

  1. My guess is that because Samsung Q1 does not have a MOUSE, there is not way to have the HID drivers working properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, what is the Constant Touch setting in the Touchkit on the Q1 that produced that picture?

    My eo i7210 had a default of 12px which results in very jagged handwriting. I lowered it to 3px and everything is a lot smoother looking.

    FWIW I have no clue what HID drivers do for handwriting or drawing on a touchscreen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan, I read Kevin's comment on that and I played with those settings and nothing compare to eo's handwriting. The 7210 and 7209 have HID Drivers so you don't have any problem. Believe me. My handwriting in my Q1 looks bad. really bad. You can see the difference in those pictures that I posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The touchscreen driver for the Asus R2H is also an HID driver.

    So it seems it's not so much a question as to which UMPC is more like a Tablet PC, but why Samsung uses the funky non-HID drivers on the Q1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you Josh! I was not sure about the Asus R2H drivers. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Samsung Q1 affair will have to be studied...

    I will like to have information on what on their premises says in connection with the serious faults design.

    It appears that several people were laid off. Most astonishing is that the versions Q1 b/p were not modified…

    Samsung could have been the large winner of Origamis. It is waste!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.