"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Gottabemobile reviewing the Fujitsu U810

A while ago I was posting here about the Fujitsu U810 and I was saying that I was not completely satisfied with this UMPC. Today Rob from Gottabemobile posted his first impressions about the Fujitsu U810, check them and compare my impressions with his.

    • The keyboard is most useful when thumbing; after a while, though, that in itself gets tiring because the keyboard is too wide to use comfortably. It reminds me of Sony's UX series. OQO's keyboard, by contrast, is much smaller and more suited for thumbing. I find the U810's keyboard too small for even touch typing while the unit is resting on a table.
    • Because the keyboard is so small, Fujitsu had to sacrifice some dedicated keys. Some of those sacrifices are the dedicated arrow down / up keys. For example, to scroll a web page, the function key has to be depressed while pressing the arrow down key, and I have yet to find a way to Page Down / Page Up.  The other major sacrifice is only one Shift key, which makes capitalizing words difficult with letters on the left side of the keyboard. The U810 does not support sticky keys natively, relying on Vista's support of sticky keys. They are not as quick to use as OQO's native sticky keys that get activated with two depresses rather than five, and are easily turned on / off.
    • As the first Vista based Intel 800 MHz system I've used, the performance is more than acceptable and much better than I anticipated.
    • The keyboard light is pretty cool, but I'd prefer a backlit keyboard.
    • Inking is a mess - Fujitsu did not implement the palm rejection technology they used in the P1610. What a shame. 
    • It is very, very light
    • I like the included Compact Flash and SD slots. I miss that in my OQO Model 02.
    • I really like the mechanical volume control, which is also accessible in slate mode.

As you can see, both of us had issues with the keyboard design and size and we both liked the Compact and SD slots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.